Tuesday, May 28, 2013

The Lord Answered My Prayers



Sawyer keeps sending us pictures of trees in bloom. 
He's so amazed with Spring coming after the snow and cold. 



NOTE FROM WENDY: 
 
On May 20, 2013, Mikel and I were driving to the airport and talking about Sawyer.  We pulled over to pray for him, as we knew that this would be an especially hard time for him since it was Madie’s birthday and 6 months since her death.  Just as we were ending our prayer, we received a text from my cousin, Rachel Gillmore, who lives in Idaho Falls, asking for Sawyer’s address.  She had felt prompted that morning as she was grocery shopping to pick up items to make Sawyer a peach cobbler and deliver it tonight.  We were filled with gratitude for our Heavenly Father and for Rachel acting on this prompting. 
 
This is a text we got from Rachel after she delivered the cobbler: “Sawyer and I visited for 3 hours last night.  I passed on your deep love and support to him.  He had a positive spirit about him despite Madie’s birthday and anniversary.  We talked about the day to day stuff, our family, his investigators, the blessings and the trials of life.  There was laughter as well as some tears.  He testified that he is exactly where he needs to be right now.  He continues to find healing while still focusing on the work.  There is no doubt the Lord is taking care of him.  He is nothing short of amazing!”
 
 
 
...and now for Sawyer's letter...
5/27/2013
To Everyone:
This past Monday the Lord answered my prayers. Rachel Gillmore came and knocked on my door with a peach cobbler and a loving heart. I am so grateful for all she did for me. Just being willing to sit and listen was a huge blessing for me.  We talked about everything under the sun but when we started talking about Madie I realized how much I needed to get it out and talk about the things we did. Thank you so much Rachel. You’re amazing.
Investigator update:
Slone Schmitt: 15
We had a new member lesson with him, his mom, and his sister Karlie.  It's kinda cool because he is a member, Sister Schmitt is a less active and Karlie we are hoping to baptize here pretty soon :). We were talking about the fist vision and Elder Stephens turned to Slone to ask "How do you know Joseph Smith was a prophet of God?" But half way through the question he turned and ask Sister Schmitt. After recovering from the shock of being asked, Sister Schmitt explained that she couldn’t, with confidence, say she knows a lot of things are true.  We talked with her about how she can come to find the truth for herself and she accepted the challenge to pray about it!  The Lord has really blessed this family. I can’t wait to be guided by the Spirit like Elder Stephens.
 
Miller Boys: Ashten and Tristen: 9&11
They are getting baptized this Saturday! June 1st!!! They are the greatest and I love these kids. I can’t wait to see the light fully come into their life. They asked me to give the talk on baptism.  I love working for the Lord.
 
Lisa Olsen: ~45
She is planning on getting baptized on the 7th!!! She set her own date and is hoping to have her husband baptize her!! He is fighting smoking and needs to have not had a smoke for 2 weeks and have an interview with the bishop.  I hope and pray he will make this goal for himself and for his whole family.
 
Shayla Pierson: 8
She is so ready for baptism! We just need to work with her mom to set a date and get her on the path to her Father in Heaven. She leaves to California to visit her father for a month and we need to give her the Gift of the Holy Ghost before she goes. We are not sure how her father feels about the church and the month could be really hard for her. 
Please continue to pray for all of our investigators.  These children of God need our help and we have the power to do so. Thank you for your prayers
D&C 88:63 - Plain and simple.  “Draw near unto me and I will draw near unto you; seek me diligently and ye shall find me; ask, and ye shall receive; knock, and it shall be opened unto you.”
2nd Nephi 7:8 - I love this verse because if we read it like we are saying it, it can be so uplifting!  “And the Lord is near, and he justifieth me.  Who will contend with me?  Let us stand together.  Who is mine adversary?  Let him come near me, and I will smite him with the strength of my mouth. (vs 9) For the Lord God will help me.”
I’m still here. I’m still breathing. I’m still fighting the good fight. All glory be unto the Father.
 
Elder Eldredge

3 comments:

  1. He is so great! and so are you Wendy <3 Thanks for your updates and personal experiences with the spirit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loving this update! What a blessing for answered prayers; love those tender mercies :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The verse from D&C speaks to me strongly. Happy to hear how busy he is keeping! Thank heaven for Rachel's closeness to the spirit's whisper.

    ReplyDelete