Tuesday, July 30, 2013

You don't know how strong you are or what you can do till you go through it - or until someone asks you to squeeze an egg.



 Elder Eldredge and Elder Scullion at a soup kitchen.  They served over 180 taco salads that day.
 
 
On July 24 we celebrate the arrival of the Mormon Pioneers entering the Salt Lake Valley.  At the Pioneer Day celebration the Elders attended they met a descendent of an Indian who met the Mormon Pioneers in the 1800's and joined the church.  Yep, he came dressed in his regalia!  So Cool!!
 

7/30/2013

Elder Curtis and I have been working hard and getting names this past week and it’s obvious the harder you work the more God will help you in his work. We have 3 Baptismal dates!!! Karisa Myrdal on the 1st of August. Tahja Snook on the 17th. And Sharron Hill on the 24th!!! And tomorrow we are planning on setting another one with Karli Shmitt to help her prepare for her baptism!!! 4 people the Lord has led us to and is allowing us to be the tools in his hand to bring them back to him. It’s amazing the power of being a missionary is. I’m so grateful to be out here and able to help people. It’s amazing!

Another highlight. Tahja ask if I would baptize her!!!! I’m so flippin excited!!!! She is so great and has been growing and growing in the gospel. I love seeing the light in her eyes! I’m so excited!!!

 
Funny story. We were at the Strebels home for dinner and a lesson. We gave a cool object lesson and then Sister Strebel wanted to show us a cool science project she did with her kids. She handed me an egg and told me to try to squeeze it. I was sitting on her couch in her living room. I asked "are you sure?" She said " Ya! You can’t do it, its really cool!" So I asked again, and she said go ahead. You can probably guess what happened. I squeezed and it exploded all over the place. In her curtains, on her couch pillows, everywhere! She was so embraced. She explained that she had tried breaking the egg for 5 minutes and could not do it! After we tried cleaning up I looked down and saw the mess that was all over my pants! I kept looking and it was on my shirt, my tie, and my name tag!!! Lots of laughs were had and lots of cleaning!
 

This past Saturday my Grandfather’s funeral was held. I’m very sad I missed it, but I learned something new about myself during this time. Death is almost a time to celebrate. It’s a time for mourning and growing closer to family members. But death is a stepping stone. It’s progression. It’s a new opportunity to grow in a place where there is no pain or sickness. My grandfather suffered with cancer for a very long time. Now he is a spirit working with the others who have passed on to help those down here who need it. I once read a poem writen by President Gordon B. Hinckley. It goes like this.

What Is This Thing That Men Call Death?

What is this thing that men call death?
This quiet passing in the night?
‘Tis not the end but genesis
Of better worlds and greater light.


O God, touch Thou my aching heart
And calm my troubled, haunting fears.
Let hope and faith, transcendent, pure,
Give strength and peace beyond my tears.


There is no death, but only change
With recompense for vict’ry won.
The gift of Him who loved all men
The Son of God, the Holy One.


 

The Plan of Salvation, or the Great Plan of Happiness brings a state of rest to those who have lost a loved one.  Here is a great video that explains this great plan.
 

 

This life is hard. But this plan makes it worth it.

Serving faithfully

Elder Eldredge

2 comments:

  1. You are doing amazing things! Love that poem! Pres Hinckley had it set to music too--it's a hymn! All our prayers include your family right now. It's so hard to view that eternity right now. Love you, the Kroff's!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Last night I was thinking about death and how death is closer than it use to be. I don't remember seeing this poem by Pres. Hinckley before. It is comforting, and I really appreciate this post with the unique insight.

    ReplyDelete